Before registering for the Business Game St.Gallen, please make sure to read the terms and conditions below (hereinafter referred to as the “terms”. By completing the registration form, you acknowledge the conditions of the official rules in their entirety and signal your acceptance thereof. Furthermore you accept that any decision of the Business Game St.Gallen staff concerning the Business St.Gallen shall be definitive.
2. The Business Game St.Gallen
- The Business Game St.Gallen (hereinafter referred to as “BGSG”) is a case competition organized by students from the University of St.Gallen.
- The BGSG is an accredited association (‘Verein’) at the University of St.Gallen. Other than that, there is no affiliation between the university and the BGSG.
- The purpose of the BGSG is to familiarize students with the reality of the work they will face in their professional life. Four to five different challenges are organized. The BGSG can change the title and content of any of those challenges at any point of time.
- The Business Game is based on an interactive economic simulation where the participants proceed within a defined competitive environment. The decisions made by the participants will affect their level of success.
- The Business Game progresses through the following stages:
- Selection Test and participant selection
- Four – Five Main Challenges
- Eloquence Final (only for the best performers of the abovementioned challenges)
- The evaluation process and criteria for the challenges will be determined by the BGSG team and the corporate partners of the BGSG.
- The date of the Business Game St.Gallen 2017 is 20 – 22 April 2017.
- The final results will be announced at the Business Game itself after the Eloquence Final as well as on the BGSG website, www.businessgamestgallen.com
- Only Master’s students who are officially enrolled in a university, a federal institute of technology (‘ETH’) or a university of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschule’) are eligible for participation at the Business Game St.Gallen (hereinafter referred to as “students”). Students writing their thesis or doing the equivalent in order to obtain their diploma are also considered students. PhD, MBA or Bachelor’s students will not be accepted as participants of the BGSG.
- Participation in the BGSG is subject to online electronic acceptance of the Official Rules and of the documentation concerning the ownership of the intellectual property and image rights.
- A financial contribution per student is owed. This will amount 200 Swiss Francs. This fee includes all meals & beverages during the event, as well as accommodation in a (multi-bed) hotel room, which will be organized by the BGSG. The participation fee will be less (100 CHF) if the student lets the BGSG know that he/she does not need an accommodation or if he/she opts for student housing (see point 5 below). There will be no refunds.
- The Business Game St.Gallen may offer discounts for the participation fee under certain circumstances. Should this be the case, the information on how to earn a discount will be displayed upon registration. There is no universal claim for a discount.
- The BGSG can offer the possibility of student housing (hosted by University students based in St.Gallen; free of charge) as possible means of accomodation in addition to the hotel. In that case, applicants chan choose their preferred type of accomodation at registration. However, the BGSG does not guarantee that all preferences can be met. Depending on the available capacity and demand, the BGSG reserves the right to reallocate participants.
- By confirming participation every individual confirms having the physical & mental capacity to participate at the BGSG. Any person under the influence of alcohol, drugs or specific medicine (impairing or severely limiting the ability to participate) must abstain from participating. The BGSG reserves the right to exclude anyone from taking part in the event when in obvious doubt of somebody’s capability of doing so. Furthermore, a participant can be disqualified if his or her security or that of other participants and/or members of the Organizing Team cannot be guaranteed anymore.
- The Students must register in teams of two. As a team, they can modify their details provided during their registration up until the date of the event.
- The teams must use the official registration form available on the official BGSG website.
- It is imperative that every mandatory field be completed with valid answers. Incomplete registration forms will not be considered. The BGSG team retains the right to retract and disqualify a candidate and his teammate if the information provided in the abovementioned registration form is incorrect or invalid.
- The two members of the team must provide a valid personal e-mail address.
- The BGSG reserves the right to verify the validity of the information provided by the teams at the time of the registration, at any time during the BGSG, and if deemed necessary, to request copies of the identity cards and/or student cards of the school or university mentioned by the team.
- Students can only be members of one team. The presence of any student in multiple teams will automatically result in the disqualification of each team in which he/she participated.
- If a member of a team decides to leave his/her team, both members of the team will be disqualified. Only extreme cases (pregnancy, accidents, hospitalization, etc.) will be accepted, in which case the remaining participant will be asked to find a new team mate. The BGSG reserves the right to define an extreme case.
- Students must register under the first name and surname appearing on their passport/identity card.
5. Use of the results
- Within the contractual agreements between the BGSG and its sponsors, BGSG may, at its full discretion, use the results of the abovementioned challenges.
- The representatives of the sponsors of the Business Game may, at their full discretion, use the results of their respective challenge/s.
6. Supplementary provisions
- At its sole discretion, the BGSG may exclude or ban a team from participating if the team or one of its members does not comply with the Official Rules or acts in an unfair or disruptive way.
- The BGSG forbids the teams, at any stage of the Business Game, to communicate their strategy to each other or any specific information concerning the team’s decisions. All data contained in the team’s data file is private and highly confidential.
- The Challenges and all associated documentation are subject to copyright. All adaptation, reproduction or re-use without the consent of the BGSG is considered copyright infringement punishable by law.
- Disqualification decisions of the BGSG are non-refutable.
- The BGSG has the right to disqualify and take legal action against any participant who might try to destroy, disturb, damage or affect the proper functioning of the BGSG.
- By participating in the BGSG, the students will have access to confidential information, for example commercial, financial, scientific, industrial or marketing-related information, concerning the activities, operations and studies of the corporate partners, one or several of the companies in the corporate partner’s group or one or several companies to which they are or were related to or in which they are interested. The students shall also have access to information concerning individuals belonging to the abovementioned companies (hereinafter referred to as “information”).
- The students shall take the necessary measures to keep said information confidential, except for public information.
- The students acknowledge that disclosing sensitive information could cause the corporate partners considerable damage, and that irresponsible treatment (or actions that are not in line with expectations) of this information therefore makes them liable to judicial pursuit.
- The obligation to keep the information confidential remains in effect even after the end of the BGSG.
- The BGSG takes appropriate measures to prevent any unauthorized access to the students’ personal data. The BGSG reserves the right to share the students’ information with its corporate partners, provided it is used in a professional manner.
- According to the article 8 of the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection of 19 June 1992, any student can exercise his/her right to information on his personal data.
Google Analytics / Cookies
- The BGSG website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses ‘cookies’, which are text files placed on the computer, to help the website analyze how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about the use of the website (including the IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating the use of the BGSG website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and Internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf. Google will not associate any IP address with any other data held by Google.
- By using the BGSG website, the user consents to the processing of user data by Google in the manner and for the purposes outlined above.
- All the times and dates published by the BGSG are in local Swiss time.
- In the event that the administration, the security or the proper functioning of the BGSG is put into question, the BGSG reserves the right to shorten, modify or cancel the Business Game. In this event, the students will not be able to claim any loss against the BGSG.
- The BGSG, its concept, its content, its appearance, its logo, any other graphic element and its organization are and shall remain the sole property of the Business Game St.Gallen.
- The BGSG is not responsible for the incorrect functioning of the site, for incorrect e-mail addresses related to the BGSG or for connection problems.
- The teams shall not be reimbursed for the fees, equipment or resources used during their participation in the BGSG.
St. Gallen, 8th of January 2017